Saturday, January 16, 2010

Sustain-O-Nomically Simple

I've been thinking alot about a quote my mother told me this past week. It's by a woman named, Dolly Freed. In the late 1970's Dolly wrote (at only 18 years old) a book called, Possum Living: How to Live Well Without a Job and with (Almost) No Money.
The quote is this, "It's easier to learn to do without some of the things that money can buy than to earn the money to buy them."
My quest to live more economically has morphed somewhat... into a quest I call
Sustain-O-Nomically Simple
Sustainable Living: (n) any lifestyle based on energy-saving and environmental responsibility
Living Economically: (adv) in a thrifty or frugal manner; as regards to the efficient use of income and wealth
Simple: (n) easy to understand, deal with, use, not elaborate nor ornate or luxurious; modest
Thus far my main eco-conscious ways have been using cloth diapers (something that I thought was crazy about a year and a half ago... honest - I love them now, but before I had my own child the thought of cleaning poop totally freaked me out - LOL now poop is just an everyday activity) & making my own laundry detergent (works fantastical.)
So..... to make my life more sustain-o-nomically simple I'm going to try to not buy anything that I already have. Meaning - Under my sink I have probably 20, no lie, different cleaning products. And I looked into my shower and saw that I currently have 3 shampoos and 4 different body washes/soaps. To help me use one of them (a beautiful bar of gardenia soap) I have made a cotton crochet soap holder.

I'm ready to start saving more money and living more simply. If you have any ideas totally feel free to share and comment :)

1 comment:

  1. Do you have a pattern available for the soap bag? It is beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete